This one is way too easy. Honestly, there isn't much meaning behind it.
Ooh, story. Once upon a time, I was in eighth grade. It was August. A really bad hurricane hit the Gulf of Mexico. They decided to name it Hurricane Katrina. My name had been Katrina for 13 years before this happened, but suddenly people were able to tease me about it.
I have always been teased about my last name Brocco (Bronco, Broccoli, BrOcco), but never for the name Katrina before. Now I had people I had never seen before in my life stopping me in the halls saying, "Aren't you the hurricane girl?" I had teachers telling me I had killed so many people in New Orleans. I had (hot) guys in the year above me singing "Rock Me Like A Hurricane" when I walked in a room. But, that was just the year that it happened.
Since then, when I tell people my name their reaction is, "Like the Hurricane?" I decided to live it up though. People knew my name now, and were starting to get to know me. I even dressed like "Hurricane Katrina" for Halloween one year. Don't ask me how, because it wasn't a very well thought out costume. But, things took a turn for the worse.
I don't know how stupid someone has to be to ask me this question, but I have been asked multiple times: Were you named after the hurricane? To which, I just stare...or I say, "Yep, my parents left me nameless for thirteen years, until they heard about Hurricane Katrina. They thought the name was so pretty that they decided to finally name me after a horrible natural disaster that killed thousands of people."
When Barack Obama ran for president people started realizing more potential in teasing my names. I have since found out the tease that I hate the most. Don't you EVER dare call me Hurricane Katrina BroccObama...or else.
The funniest thing that ever happened that I can associate with my name however came in my Junior year of High School. I was taking AP Chemistry, and was staying after school to work out problems and prepare for the test. A girl came in with her friend who needed help with her chemistry homework. This girl's name was Candy. I think she was on drugs. She was saying some crazy stuff, and finally she asked me what my name was.
Me: Katrina
Candy: No Way! Like the Hurricane?!
Me: Ya...
Candy: If my name was Katrina, this is what I would do when people asked me my name. I'd say, 'Katrina...WHOOSH!' (while she did some funny arm movements)
She then proceeded to talk to my teacher and he convinced her that he was only a Student Teacher. Probably one of the funnier days in my life, thus far.
So that is why my blog is named "Hurricane Katrina." Fascinating, right?
(Katrina Marie)
No comments:
Post a Comment